Today, Americans are shopping and buying clothes more often than ever. It’s incredibly easy for the amount of clothes you have to pile up until you have far more clothes than you need. When the times comes to get rid of clothes you no longer wear or need, you may not be sure what to do with these items. Instead of throwing these items away, you can instead donate clothing to charitable organizations. There are many benefits that come from making clothing donations and participating in donation pick up instead of throwing them away and this article will look at a few of those benefits.
- It Keeps Waste Out of Landfills: One benefit of donating your clothes to charitable organizations is that it keeps waste from going to the landfill. This is no small issue, as it is currently estimated the around 10 million tons of clothing and textiles are thrown away each year, while only 15 percent of anyone’s clothing is donated or recycled. If this percentage were raised even to only 50 percent, that alone would prevent several million tons of clothing from going to the landfill each year, which would be a tremendous benefit to the environment.
- Donating Opens Up Space in Your Closet and Your Home: Another benefit of donating your clothing and participating in donation pick up is that you will be opening up valuable space in your closet and your home. As mentioned before, Americans are buying more clothing than ever before and these clothes take up a lot of space. To give an example, the average American woman owned 9 outfits in 1930. Almost 100 years later, the average woman owns 30 outfits, which can fill closets. By donating these excess clothes, you’ll be opening up space in your closet that can be used for other things.
- Your Donations Help Families in Need: A third benefit of donating your clothing is that your donations help families in need. Instead of wasting away in your closet where no one uses them, you can donate your clothing to charitable organizations where they’ll go to families that need them.
- Your Donations Can Be Picked Up At Your Home: Another benefit of donating your clothing is that there are many charities that pick up donations at your home. This is especially beneficial if you have a large amount of clothing to donate. Instead of having to take a huge amount of clothing to the charity by yourself, you can instead have it all boxed up and picked up by the charity at your home. Donation pick up is a great benefit.
- Your Donations Are Tax Deductible: A fifth benefit of donating your clothing to charity is that your donations are tax deductible. You can receive a tax deduction up to the full value of the clothing you’ve donated. Getting a tax deduction is always a good benefit for anyone to receive.
In conclusion, there are a number of benefits that can be gained from donating your clothing to a charitable organization. These benefits include keeping waste out of landfills, opening up space in your closet and home, helping families in need, being able to have your donations picked up at your home, and your donations are tax deductible. These are just a few of the benefits you can reap from donating your clothing to charity.