This is the weekend when you are finally going to clean out the closets, the dressers, and the cupboards in your home. With a goal of getting things ready for the pick up clothing donations service, you are determined to make the most of this three day weekend. You plan that this time you will finally be able to sort through the boxes of baby clothes and get rid of all but two or three special items. For too many years, you have been hanging on things that are just taking up space in your closets.
Whether you are making military donations or planning to gather cleaning supplies for the victims of Hurricane Harvey, every day is a good day to think of those who are less fortunate. Charitable clothing donations allow many families who are struggling to make ends meet find a way to get to the end of the month. Conveniently, many organizations pick up clothing donations on a monthly basis. Scheduling a regular pick up for donated items is the best way to get in the routine and the habit of getting rid of what you are no longer using and making sure those items serve a bigger purpose.
Consider some of these statistics about the way the donating unused items and recycled old textiles can make a positive contribution to both the economy and the world that we live in:
- 2 million tons of clothing and textiles were recycled or donated to charity in the U.S. in the year 2011.
- 12 million tons of textiles and clothing waste is thrown out in America every year.
- An average of 10 pounds of previously used clothing is purchased every year in the U.S. by all Americans.
- 4.5 pounds of trash is generated every day by each American. This amounts to 1.5 tons of solid waste a year a person.
- Only 30% of the solid waste in America is actually recycled, although 75% of this solid waste is recyclable, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- Americans composted and recycled almost 87 million tons of material in the year 2012.
Whether you are in the process of making a one time donation to the victims of Hurricane Harvey or you make regular donations to a local charity, taking the time to give to those less fortunate can be a valuable asset to groups across the room.