One of the best things people can do to deal with the stresses of their daily lives is take good care of themselves and their health. Every day, many people around the United States go to spas for a wide variety of services. Some go for facials and to buy spa facial products, others are interested in waxing services, and others like the idea of lying on massage spa equipment to get a deep tissue massage. Massages can help melt away stress and help muscles feel better. There are some things you can do to have a better experience before you go in for a massage. Here are a few:
- Be careful about what you eat and drink before the massage. You should eat before you go in for your massage, you will have a less enjoyable time on the massage spa equipment if all you can do is think about the sound of your stomach grumbling. At the same time, you will be uncomfortable if you ate a big Thanksgiving sized meal. Have a light meal with protein. You should also not drink alcohol right before you go in or go in when you have a hangover. The massage process moves water through your body. Alcohol is very dehydrating. The two do not play well together.
- Get there early. It is always a good idea to plan to arrive at the spa at least 15 minutes before your massage is scheduled to start. When you have to rush in to your appointment with your massage therapist, you can be in the wrong state of mind to get the most out of your massage.
- Make sure you take a shower before you go in for your massage appointment. Yes, there will be spa crafted linens over the massage spa equipment but a person is going to have to put their hands on your skin. Most people who go in for massage treatments are clean people but take a shower the morning before your massage.
- Ask all the questions you have. If you have never had a massage, you may have a lot of questions. Talk to the massage therapist about what kinds of things you want to get out of their massage. If you are an athlete and are looking to get help with sore muscles, you should ask about that. If you have suffered an injury, you should share that with your masseuse. They may need to change the way they do things depending on your needs and to work around any problem areas.
- Make sure you are comfortable with the situation. Most of the time, when people have a massage, they are brought to a private space at the spa and are asked to get undressed. Most massages are done with the person naked under a sheet. If you are not comfortable with that, and some are, you can ask for a different kind of massage. Wear the right underwear on the day of your massage to your appointment.
- Remember to breathe! That may sound like it is so basic that it does not need to be mentioned but some people get nervous and forget to take their time with their breathing. Take your breathing slow and you will have a much better time with your massage. This will do a lot to help you relax. If you find you are feeling stressed out, try this. Breathe in for four counts. Hold it for three. Breathe out for six counts When you take longer to breathe out than in, you lower your heart rate, which is very relaxing.
- Drink lots of water. As was mentioned before, the massage process helps move water through your tissues. That means you need to replace it so that you have a better experience and your muscles are able to recover faster after your session. While it is actually possible to drink too much water, you should make an effort to get more of it after you have a massage.
There are few things as relaxing as sliding onto the massage spa equipment to have your muscles worked on. Having regular massages can help with soreness and stress and can improve how you feel mentally and physically.