Massage therapy is the manipulation of the muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues of your body. There are many different types of massage therapy offered our spa, and they all offer different benefits to the body. Let’s take a look at a few of them.
- Swedish massage: The Swedish massage is one of the most popular kinds of massage therapy. Therapists use a series of strokes like kneading, circular movements, and friction techniques all over the body. A Swedish massage is good for helping muscles relax and easing superficial tension. It can also help boost circulation throughout the body.
- Deep Tissue massage: A deep tissue massaged is much more focused on specific problem areas of the body. Slower, more forceful strokes are used in order to target the deeper layers of muscle and connective tissue. This type of massage therapy is ideal for releasing chronic tension and can also help improve range of motion.
- Hot Stone massage: Instead of the massage therapist relying solely on their hands, they use heated basalt (volcanic rock that retains heat) stones. The stones are placed on the problem areas of the body that need tension relief. The warm stones help the body relax while they loosen up tight muscles so the therapist can reach areas of muscles tension quickly. Besides tension relief, the stones can also help increase blood flow.
- Pregnancy massage: Pregnancy massage is beneficial for expecting mothers. Pregnancy often causes lower back pain and swollen ankles, and massage therapy is a safe, drug-free way to relieve that pain and tension. The massage therapist has special tools and skills to be able to properly treat a pregnant woman. Along with pain reduction, pregnancy massage can also help with depression, anxiety, and insomnia.
- Couples massage: Couples massage is massage therapy where two clients are kneaded side by side in the same room. Swedish massage is the most common type of massage therapy administered during a couples massage, but other types can be requested. Couples massages are great for re-connection and increased intimacy for the couple participating.
A national survey of people who received a massage found that 92% reported it was effective in pain relief. While pain relief is a common benefit, there are plenty of reasons to seek a massage. Regular massages are great for both your physical and mental health. If you are having trouble selecting the right type of massage therapy, ask one of our massage therapists for advice, and they will be able to help you based on your ailments and end goals.